Part 1 of 3 in our series, "Choosing the Right Remodeler"
Question: When you talk about improving your kitchen, bathroom or deck, who hears you first?
Answer: The remodelers and contractors are very often the first people that hear you talk about your idea. In fact, you may find yourself talking to a remodeler even before you have fully thought through your idea, or even before you've spoken, out loud, your idea to anyone else!
Our advice: Have a little chat with YOURSELF, out loud, to dramatically simplify your next remodeling project.
STEP 1: Ask, then answer these...yourself:
- What do I want? Create a gathering place.
- What would I like to achieve? A quick sale of our house.
- What is the function I want? Improved workspace.
- What RESULT do I want from the remodeling or improvement?
This type of preliminary thinking (asking questions, then answering them yourself) will help simplify the conversation with your remodeler.
STEP 2: Talk to yourself about FUNCTIONS, not FEATURES.
These are FEATURES:
- Kitchen cabinets: Move to the opposite wall.
- Patio: Add more space.
- Hardwood floors: Replace carpeting with wood flooring.
These are FUNCTIONS:
- Kitchen cabinets: make easier to reach from oven and fridge.
- Patio: Expand it for larger parties and gatherings.
- Hardwood floors make it easier to keep high-traffic areas clean.
See the difference?
Once you can talk to yourself and explain the FUNCTIONS of the features you want, you will be better equipped to explain RESULTS you want from remodeling, too.
Here are other questions to ask yourself, then answer:
- What do I want my new arrangement to do, that my existing one doesn't?
- What do I dislike about my current arrangement?
These questions help you get to the result faster. Paint color, types of appliances, fixtures or flooring come afterwards.
Of course, it's much easier when your roof is leaking or you want to paint your house. You simply choose styles and colors.
But don’t be discouraged. You're on the right track now!
Want to talk? Click here to ask "Keith a Question" right now! Or call HandyWorks Remodeling anytime, 203-626-5451. We'll listen...and get you going in the right direction.
This was Part 1 in our series, "Choosing The Right Remodeler". We hope you found it valuable.
To read Part 2, "Remodeler's References/Reputation: Check BOTH before you hire" click here.
To read Part 3, "Is the BEST Price the RIGHT Price? Probably Not!" click here.